There was an error in this gadget

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Samoa Cupcakes

Samoa Cupcakes 



So, in case you live under a rock and didn't notice, the Girl Scouts just blew through town, spreading love, joy and cookies everywhere!  I can't say I'm a huge fan of girl scout cookies but I am a big fan of the organization and the cause.  I am a baker so I prefer to make my own cookies.  But... if those adorable little girls that hang outside of my grocery store manage to tug at my heart strings and make me weak... I will buy some cookies.  I prefer the Samoas.  I've never been a fan of coconut.  That is until I made my first German Chocolate Cake!  That will be another recipe for another day, though!  

My friend, Spencer Blake who is the anchor of Good Morning Idaho on Channel 6 here in Boise, asked me to come up with a recipe that includes Girl Scout Cookies for a segment.  Well, what better food is there to create than a new cupcake?  :)

This cupcake has a Samoa cookie on the bottom, then a layer of chocolate cake.  It is filled with some homemade salted caramel sauce which is topped with a little toasted sweetened coconut.  The next layer is some vanilla bean buttercream frosting.  I drizzled the frosting with salted caramel sauce, sprinkled some more (Samoa) toasted coconut then finished it off with a drizzle of chocolate ganache.   A little piece of Samoa makes an adorable and super tasty decoration on top.  

This is a non-recipe recipe!  Take 2 cupcake pans and line them with standard-sized cupcake liners.  Place a Samoa cookie on the bottom of each liner.  You will probably need about 3 boxes of Samoa cookies because unfortunately they only put about 15 cookies in each package.  The nerve of them!  Anyway, save some for the garnish on top!

Next, mix up your favorite chocolate cake recipe,  If it's from a box, no judgement here!  I only ask that you make your own frosting.  Please, please, please do not buy the can!  American buttercream frosting is so simple to make and so, so, so much better that chemical infused yucky canned stuff.  

To make a vanilla bean buttercream, simply beat 2 sticks of room temperature unsalted butter with 6 cups of powdered sugar, 1/2 cup of whole milk, a very generous tablespoon of pure vanilla extract and a pinch of salt.  There ya go.


Here is how to make some yummy chocolate ganache...

Pour one cup of heavy whipping cream into a microwavable glass bowl. Add one heaping cup of semi sweet chocolate chips, heat for 1 minute in your microwave. Mix well. If it needs to melt some more just put it in the microwave for another 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add a teaspoon of vanilla and bada-bang baby, you got yourself some ganache. 

Enjoy,








No comments: