Here is a recipe for a foolproof steak marinade. It will make even inexpensive cuts of meat taste delicious. I usually use this marinade for top sirloin or petite sirloin steaks. This recipe makes enough for about four 1/2 pound steaks
Foolproof Steak Marinade
- 1/3 C soy sauce
- 1/3 C vegetable oil
- 1/3 C worcestershire sauce
- 2 TBSP honey
- 4-6 cloves of fresh garlic (minced fine)
- 2 TBSP finely chopped chives or green onions
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
1. Mix all ingredients together well in a medium bowl with a whisk.
2. Pour mixture into a one gallon sized zip top bag.
3. Score steaks on the diagonal at one inch intervals on both sides.
4. Put steaks into the bag with the marinade and refrigerate for at least an hour or up to 6 hours.
5. Let the steaks come to room temperature for about 15 minutes before cooking.
6. Take the steaks out of the marinade and let the excess drip off. Pat dry with paper towels then grill, broil or cook on the stovetop in an iron skillet to desired doneness. Here is a temperature chart to follow:
|Meat Temperature Chart|
120° - 125°
130° - 135°
140° - 145°
150° - 155°
160° and above
Never check doneness of any meat by cutting into it. Doing this will make all of the juices run out and leave you with a dry piece of meat. Instead, always use a thermometer. The temperature will rise about another 5 degrees after you remove it from the heat source. Allow meat to rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing into it. This allows time for the juices in the meat to coagulate. If you really want a rich tasting piece of steak, melt a pat of butter on top while the steak is resting. That is what all of the restaurants do! It gives it a carmelized, nutty flavor. Yum!