I am a huge fan of fondue! I mean really, what's not to love about taking yummy foods and dipping them in a delicious cheese sauce, making them even yummier? I roasted some amazing fingerling potatoes from Southwind Farms here in Idaho and they were perfect with this cheese fondue! I'm not usually known for quick and easy recipes but cheese fondue is very quick and very easy. Here is how it's made:
- 8 ounces Emmentaler cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- 8 ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon dry ground mustard
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Various foods for dipping in fondue
Don’t substitute deli Swiss cheese for the Emmentaler or Gruyere cheese. It will make the fondue stringy. Also, it is best to use a crisp, un-oaked wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc. A cup of chicken broth with a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice can be substituted for the wine.
1. Toss Emmentaler, Gruyère, and cornstarch, and together in bowl until well combined. Bring wine and garlic to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Simmer for a minute then discard the garlic.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low and slowly whisk in cheese mixture 1 handful at a time. Continue to cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is smooth and begins to bubble, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in pepper, nutmeg and dry mustard. Serve with delicious roasted Idaho fingerling potatoes (recipe below), bread, meats, blanched vegetables, soft pretzels, etc.
Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
- 3 pounds Idaho fingerling potatoes (I used Mixed Medley)
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil (I used a rosemary infused oil for these)
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 TBSP fresh (finely minced) or 1 tsp dried herbs (rosemary, dill, basil, whatever you like!)
- 2 TBSP freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Whisk all ingredients (except for potatoes) in a large bowl.
3. Add potatoes to bowl and toss to cover well.
4. Pour potatoes onto a sheet pan and roast for 20 to 25 minutes to desired tenderness.