Share It

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Mac and Cheese

It's January and it's cold here in Idaho.  Warm, cheesy comfort food is pretty popular around here in the winter.  There are a million different recipes out there for mac and cheese and I say just use any of them as a base and add what you LIKE!  I love dried mustard and nutmeg in mine.  I love sharp cheddar cheddar cheese and some gruyere too. 

Here is how I throw my mac and cheese down...

Mac and Cheese
Ingredients:
  • 1 pound elbow macaroni
  • 1/2 stick plus 2 TBSP butter (divided)
  • 1/4 C all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 C whole milk
  • 1 TBSP dried mustard powder (or to taste)
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
  • 1/2 pound gruyere cheese  (grated)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 3/4 C panko bread crumbs
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 F. 

Boil macaroni for about 7 minutes in salted water until it is cooked but still firm and drain.  Set aside

Melt 1/2 stick of butter in a large pot.  Add flour and whisk constantly over medium-low heat for about five minutes. 

Add the milk and whisk together. 

Add the dried mustard, nutmeg and onion powder.  Cook for about five more minutes, whisking constantly. 

Add the cheese and stir until fully melted.  Add the salt and pepper (to taste). 

Add in the cooked macaroni and stir well.

Transfer to a 9x13 baking dish.

Melt the remaining 2 TBSP butter in a microwave safe bowl (in the microwave, hee hee).  Mix in the panko bread crumbs to the butter then sprinkle all over the top of the mac and cheese.

Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes uncovered until golden and bubbly.



Enjoy!


P.S. Oh, by the way... if you are a bacon lover (my family is not - I know, the horror!) then add a little bacon fat into your butter and flour roux and add some diced bacon before baking.  You will thank me (but your arteries won't!)

2 comments:

oneordinaryday said...

Homemade mac and cheese is my ultimate comfort food. Delicious.

I want to thank you for stopping by my blog and offering your kind words of support for my sister and her family. It's meant a lot to everyone.
~Michelle

wishbonealley.blogspot.com said...

Weight Watchers or not...
I'm doing the Mac and Cheese some weekend!

yum, yum!!!

0x0