There was an error in this gadget

Monday, January 10, 2011

I'm declaring this week Cookie Week!

I'm doing this simply because I CAN, and also because I really like baking cookies!  And most people I know really like eating them.  Seriously...  the sweet smell while they are baking and the warm chewy texture can put a smile on anyone's face! 

The general favorite around here is chocolate chip, thick and chewy chocolate chip.



I've tried dozens, probably hundreds of different recipes for chocolate chip cookies in my lifetime.  A couple of years ago I read an article in Cooks Illustrated (my favorite cooking magazine), the May/June 2009 issue to be exact, for The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie.  The perfect chocolate chip cookie is certainly a matter of opinion and taste and this one was pretty close for me.  I made a few changes such as doubling the recipe, making them smaller and changing the amounts of a few ingredients and this is what I came up with...

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

  • 3 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 3 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
  • 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 TBSP pure vanilla extract
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 1/2 cups nuts (optional) 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda. 

In a skillet, melt 3 sticks of unsalted butter over high heat.  Simmer until the butter turns an amber brown color, about 4 minutes.  It will smell like caramel.  Pour into a large bowl and then add the remaining half stick of butter.  Stir until melted.

Browning the butter gives these cookies a deep caramel flavor.  If you like a lighter flavor and a fluffier cookie, beat room temperature butter with the sugar instead of using brown butter

Add sugars, salt and vanilla extract.  Whisk vigorously (with a strong metal whisk) for about a minute. 

Crack the 3 eggs into a seperate small bowl and lightly beat.  Add to the butter mixture and whisk vigorously for 1 minute.  Let stand for 3 minutes and then whisk for 1 more minute.  Repeat this one more time.  The batter should be glossy and smooth. 

Stir in flour/baking soda mixture with a rubber spatula, just until incorporated.   Do not overmix.  Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (if using). 

Scoop heaping tablespoons onto baking stones (my preference) or parchment paper covered baking sheets.  You should fit about 9 cookies per sheet.

Bake for 12 - 14 minutes until slightly golden.  Do not overbake! (unless you like your cookies crunchy, not chewy)  Let sit for 2 minutes and then transfer with a thin metal spatula onto cooling racks.

I'd love to tell you what this recipe yields, as in how many cookies, but my kids are always stealing the dough so I may never know for sure!  If you happen to make these cookies where you have no cookie dough theives around, let me know how many it makes for you!  :)

Enjoy!


2 comments:

dawn said...

Choclate chip cookies are my all time favorites! I am definately going to try this recipe. I promise I will give you full credit. Lovin' this blog!

Lashelle said...

Lori, Made these cookies tonight and they are delish!!!! Kids won't stop eating them and Cadence keeps grabbing handfuls of dough!! Thank you for posting this recipe!!